Monday, January 23, 2017

Lines of Discord and Lines of Love - Sarah Condon

This weekend my newsfeed was either full of photos of women marching or long rants criticizing the women who marched. Divisiveness it seems, is the rule for the day. Even when we choose not to participate in something we must explain to everyone who did why they are clearly wrong. Jesus must be really proud of us.
Of course, the marches drew their own kind of lines in the sand. I was disheartened to learn that women who held pro-life beliefs were not as welcomed to join as those who are pro-choice. Even Gloria Steinem got in on the action, making it clear that you weren’t allowed to join the feminist club if you didn't share her beliefs on that subject. Look out ladies, glass ceiling here we come!
I would write Ms. Steinem a missive about the courageous, not-to-be-trifled-with, Jesus-loving women I know who happen to be pro-life. I would tell her that they would stand with their feminist sisters and work for equal wages, fight systemic prejudice, and help impoverished children everywhere. But I wrote her a letter once and she never wrote me back.
Besides, I’m too tired. I hosted a church party this weekend, my kindergartener was in a bad mood this morning, and I have a mountain of laundry to fold. #reallifefeminism
Originally posted at Mockingbird - http://www.mbird.com/2017/01/lines-of-discord-and-lines-of-love/